December Member of the Month
Kenneth L. Wilkerson, Director
EMS agency name
Hamilton County E.M.S.
Agency location/area served (City/State)
Chattanooga / Hamilton County, TN.
Service type: (Municipal, Private, Hospital, Volunteer
County Third Service / County General Government
Number of staff:
# AEMT’s 30 #Paramedics 75 #Support staff 7
Hamilton County EMS was established in Feb 1988. Ken was hired as Chief in Aug 1988 and has served as Director since 2015. He received his Paramedic licensure in 1977 and spent 8 years assigned to the Chattanooga Police Department SWAT Team as a Tactical Medic, leaving in 1987. Ken was selected as the NAEMT Administrator of the Year in 2005.
Annual call volume statistics 2015
- 911 responses 34,000
- 911 transports 26,000
- ALS percentage of transports 100%
- BLS percentage of transports n/a
- Non-emergency transports n/a
- Population of coverage area 300,000
- Square mileage of coverage area 571 Sq. Miles
Ambulance Fleet information
- Number of BLS ambulances n/a
- Number of ALS ambulances 14 24/7 24 in fleet 13 Individual Stations
- Annual Budget $10,000,000
- Number of supervisory units 4 24/7
- Specialty units/resources Tactical Medic Unit, Bike Team, EMS Strike Team, HazMat Response, Mass Casualty Trailers, Mobile Command Vehicle
- Other: All personnel issued ballistic equipment since 1995.
We have a very involved system of advanced medical care outreach coordinated through area hospitals. Code STEMI activation, field Stroke activation, etc.
Agency challenges: Career minded Service looking for similar personnel.