November Member of the Month
Todd Plunkett, Chief
I began my career in 1989 as an EMT while attending high school. I have been with the department since 1993 as a volunteer, career EMT and Paramedic, EMS Lieutenant, Assistant Chief, and currently the Chief of the Department since 2015. As Chief of Baldwin Emergency Medical Service I work with 37 career EMS professionals who provide 24/7 ALS/BLS and Medically Directed Rescue Services to the communities of Baldwin Borough, Pleasant Hills Borough, West Mifflin Borough, and Whitaker Borough in the South Hills of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I have a BS from Point Park University in Public Administration and EMS.
In 2002 I was selected as a member of the Pennsylvania Urban Search and Rescue Team as a rescue specialist and continue today in that position. I am also the Asst. Chief of a multi- departmental/multi-jurisdictional technical rescue team that serves over 300,000 residents in the Pittsburgh/Allegheny County Area. (SHACOG TRT)
EMS agency name
Baldwin Emergency Medical Service
Agency location/area served (City/State)
Service type: (Municipal, Private, Hospital, Volunteer
Third Service, Non Profit EMS
Number of staff:
# EMT’s 18 # Paramedics 19 # Support staff
Annual call volume statistics
- 911 responses--9800
- 911 transports--7500
- ALS percentage of transports--80%
- BLS percentage of transports--20%
- Non-emergency transports (if applicable)
- Population of coverage area-66,000
- Square mileage of coverage area---25 square miles
Ambulance Fleet information
- Number of ALS ambulances--7
- Number of supervisory units--3
- Specialty units/resources--4
- Other: 1 Technical Heavy Rescue, 1 Mass Casualty Unit, 1 Side By Side ATV/Special Event Gator We provide technical rescue in the areas of swift water, trench, confined space, high and low angle rescue.
Recruitment/Retention and reimbursements are the two biggest challenges affecting our organization. The response to the ever changing environment of the mobile shooter has challenged us financially and in policy areas.
We currently have an aggressive community outreach program and education. CPR/AED Programs, Stop the Bleed Programs, Stranger Danger, and Holiday Safety programs are delivered on a regular basis.